Thursday, September 3, 2009

Second Day of Orientation

Today I returned to Konan University for additional sessions on various aspects of the study abroad program. In the afternoon we split into the same groups we had yesterday during the campus tour, and today our Japanese guides showed us around downtown Kobe. My feet became quite sore from all the walking, and I was also rather tired from the heat and from jet lag, so the students who took me on the tour kept commenting on my lack of energy. I tried to express my appreciation and enthusiasm for the time they spent and the effort they put into providing me with a fun tour.
One hot topic about which I have not yet heard much is the recent election in Japan. It may be due to the people with whom I've been spending most of my time lately, but no discussion of the election has come up. I'll have to investigate in a sensitive manner to find out what people think of the change in power. Today I did, however, engage in conversation with my fellow French students in regard to Nicolas Sarkozy and their malcontent with his politics. Their comments reminded me that I would like to find out more about what people think of the new prime minister and the Democratic Party here in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment