Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Eye Contact and Climbing Through Windows

I am aware that I do not tend to make eye contact with people while I speak, which seems to bother some people here. I always make eye contact with someone while he or she speaks to show that I am listening, but when I speak to someone, I don't tend to look him or her in the eye. I think that this style of speaking is not compatible with the style in Japan, and I have noticed through my peripheral vision that when I speak to someone, he or she will tend to lean in a certain direction and move closer to me in order to make eye contact, which reminds me that I should look make eye contact when I speak to someone. I wonder if people are bothered by this habit of mine, or if it changes a person's opinion of me.
Another funny situation in my life in Japan arises from the layout of my host family's home. As I described in a previous post, I live in a section of the house that is separated from my host family's section of the house. I must leave my section through one door, walk around the corner, and go in the house through a different door to access the area in which my host family lives. However, there is also a window in my sink and shower room, and if I poke my head through the window, I can see into my host family's backyard, which is accessible through the back door of their home. One day, I decided to climb through the window in my shower room and see if I could fit. I did fit, and my host family thought it was funny, probably thought it was strange, but didn't condemn the action, so I've been climbing through the window ever since in order to enter the main part of my host family's home. I think it's hilarious, albeit slightly undignified. Okaasan, however, put a foot stool in my shower room to give me a leg up and facilitate my climbing through the window, so she must not mind. Today, when Okaasan wanted to enter my living area, she even climbed through the window herself (she did it much more gracefully than I do because she is shorter than I) to enter into my room. I should post a picture of the window on my blog, because I think it's hilarious that I climb through a window every day to see my host family.

No comments:

Post a Comment