Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I just added pictures to various blog entries starting from September 15th, so if you wish you may view those.
Today has been an uneventful day. I went to class, and afterward attended an International Fair for an hour. I'm not sure which student group organizes the fair, but the fair facilitates exchange of information about study abroad experiences by providing Japanese students and international students with a place to meet up and talk. I met a few interesting Japanese students. Most Japanese students seem to have completed short study abroad experiences (a few weeks, a month, or a few months) in a foreign country, but it doesn't seem as though many go abroad for nine months or a year.
I bought postcard stamps at the post office and lunch at a supermarket next to the train station. Persimmons are commonly enjoyed in autumn in Japan, so I bought one this afternoon and am eagerly waiting for it to ripen. Otherwise, today consisted of of homework and studying, violin practice, room cleaning, and journal writing.
Yesterday I finally spoke with someone in the tea ceremony club. I expressed interest, but she told me that it would be difficult for an international student to join the tea ceremony club. It requires a lot of time and dedication for hours each Monday afternoon (I have two lessons every Monday afternoon), the concepts are very advanced, the emotions are difficult to explain, and the discussions the club sometimes holds involve the use of specific, abstract vocabulary that the typical international student wouldn't understand. More incentive for me to study Japanese very diligently! Yoshiko (the member of the club with whom I spoke) invited me to attend for an hour or two on any given Monday afternoon and have my own taiken (personal experience) and see how I like it. I'll give the club a try, and if I feel willing to dedicate my time and energy toward that art, I may try to join the club next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment