Friday, September 4, 2009

Meeting the Host Family

All forty-three of us exchange students were introduced to our host families in a formal, public ceremony today. They called out the students' names in alphabetical order, and as they called out our names, our host families would walk into the middle of the room, as did we, and we met and bowed to them, introducing ourselves. After the introductions, we went into a banquet room and listened to speeches made by the President and the head of the Board of Directors of Konan University, followed by a scrumptious lunch. After lunch we drove home.
Only my host mother and host brother attended the morning's ceremony, so when I arrived at home, I met my host sister. She was sitting in front of the TV watching the Disney channel, and I found it slightly difficult to pull her attention away from the TV and make conversation. After an hour or so, my host mother showed me to my room. To enter the room I must leave the house, walk around the corner, and enter the house again through a side door. Thus, I am separated from the rest of the home in my own living quarters. I was feeling kind of lonely as I unwound in my room, but I was pleasantly surprised when my host sister showed up outside my door saying she came to hang out with me. We had an interesting conversation, and then I returned to the main part of the house for dinner. At dinner time I met my host father, and he has a great sense of humor. My host mother is very patient with me and answers all my questions about life at home as well as about Japanese grammar. My host brother seems rather shy, but he warmed up at dinner with the whole family sitting around the table.
I'm comfortable and happy right now, and I can't wait go to the Mexican Festival tomorrow in Osaka. I'll see for myself the Japanese take on Mexican culture!

No comments:

Post a Comment