Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Star Wars is officially finished. I have viewed half of the completed version but haven't had time to see the whole production. But there are supposedly some very funny bloopers at the end that I can't wait to see. I think that this production tells a lot about my Japanese class's closeness and our ability to work through such a tough project. I am pleased that I was a part of such a fun, close-knit group this past year, it made my experience in Japan all the more worthwhile.
I am still enjoying viewing the cherry blossoms as they are in bloom for two weeks. This past weekend I went to Himeji Castle to see the blossoms there. It's a popular place when it comes to cherry blossom viewing, so it felt like half the country had turned up that day to see the blossoms and celebrate spring. But the crowds made it more fun and lively. Today I walked up and down this street called "Cherry Blossom Tunnel" which is about five minutes from my host family's house. There are seventy cherry trees that line the sides of this long street, and when the blossoms are in full bloom the trees create a sort of tunnel of cherry blossoms all along the street.
This past Monday I conducted my first in a series of four violin lessons that I will be giving to another host family's daughter. I have never taught violin before, and I am teaching Julia in Japanese, which makes it even more challenging. Particularly difficult aspects of teaching are how to convey proper holding and usage of the bow, holding of the violin, and placing the fingers at the correct places on the strings. I don't want to be too picky in my assessment of my student's playing, but I want to make sure I teach her correctly from the outset so that she may properly develop her skills. At any rate, I am happy that they thought of me when considering violin lessons for their daughter, and it is another new experience that I will have at the end of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment