Thursday, April 15, 2010

I realized I have never devoted a blog entry to the famous Japanese toilets. I don't want to bore anyone by discussing the phenomena you may have already heard about (seat warming button, spray to clean you off, etc.), so I'll focus on two new discoveries of mine from the past eight months.
At one friend's host family's house, the toilet lid automatically rises when you open the bathroom door. I don't know if there's a motion sensor or if the door and the toilet are wired to each other, but it's interesting. I think the control panel next to the toilet also plays electronic versions of famous music, such as "Spring" from Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" as background music for one's enjoyment while using the toilet.
Also on control panels next to many public toilets is the 音姫, or "sound princess." You put your hand in front of the sensor or press a button on the control panel, and a flushing noise comes out of the speaker. This is to hide any sounds you make while using the toilet. However, it's only in women's restrooms. I've asked many men and they all say they've seen no such thing in any restroom they've been in.

No comments:

Post a Comment