Thursday, May 20, 2010

I have added some pictures from my recent travels, so please check out this blog entry and other recent entries to see various photos!
This past Monday and Tuesday I toured many shrines and temples in Kamakura and in Tokyo. I went with a family friend whom I had just met for the first time. He married a Japanese woman and is living in Tokyo doing work as a translator.
In Kamakura I saw a giant Buddha (it was a very tall statue, and I was able to enter the statue and see the inside as well). In Tokyo I went to the controversial Yasukuni Shrine where war criminals and other personages from World War II are enshrined.

1 comment:

  1. The Kamakura Buddha is very impressive, isn't it? We used to have a little replica of this at my home when I was growing up. When I saw the actual statue during my AFS summer of 1957, I was totally overwhelmed. The statue had deep resonances for me because we had always had this little statue and now here was this huge one.

    I revisited the Kamakura Buddha in 2004. Again, it was very impressive.

    ReplyDelete