Saturday, February 27, 2010

Learning Japanese

Sometimes it's so difficult to accept it when I make a mistake while using Japanese. I try very hard to use everything that I know and that I've learned in order to produce correct Japanese. But despite all my effort, sometimes I'm just not correct. I've been told a billion times that failure and mistakes are good for me - that I should be grateful for the opportunities to make mistakes and to learn. But sometimes the way the criticism is delivered just gets to me. I just want to be correct, but when I find out I'm not, I become frustrated, and that frustration is quite visible to those who correct me. The people who are kind and patient enough to correct me tend to be the people that are closest to me here, or people with whom I interact on a regular basis - people from whom I can learn a lot, if I wouldn't let my frustration push them away, which it unfortunately can and does. I just have to remember what Okaasan always tells me - after learning English for twenty years in the U.S., I should not expect to become fluent in Japanese after only such a short time in Japan.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, don't get down on yourself. I know it's frustrating, but there's 2 things you should try to remember: first, remember how much your Japanese has improved already. Think back to those first few weeks and what you had trouble saying or doing back then. It's child's play now, right? Second, if you're anything like me, you probably make plenty of English mistakes and have a hard time expressing yourself in English sometimes too! So why should you feel bad about making mistakes in a language you're learning when you sill make mistakes in a language you're fluent in? My English isn't perfect, so I shouldn't hold my Japanese to a higher standard. Anyway, I'm glad you got to do some traveling over the break. Shikoku sounds really cool!

    ReplyDelete