Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Okaasan's Birthday

Tonight was Okaasan's birthday, and she spent the day in Kyoto sight-seeing with Otousan. For dinner, she ordered Domino's pizza, which surprised me. For my birthday and Otousan's birthday, she prepared scrumptious Japanese meals. But I guess Okaasan wanted to go light on the food preparation for her own birthday, and I don't blame her. Besides, no one else in the household cooks, so if Okaasan doesn't cook, we can't eat food prepared at home in that given evening. Therefore tonight we ate Domino's pizza.
The Domino's pizza here does not have as much sauce as its counterpart in the U.S. However, there are rather unusual toppings on the pizza here, including corn and shrimp. There was even a small section of a mixed-topping pizza that had cream cheese and blueberries on top of it! I wasn't feeling that adventurous, so Otousan and Yoko sampled it, and sure enough, they both confirmed that that sort of topping is not meant to be on a pizza.
For dessert tonight, instead of the usual cake and whipped topping with strawberries that Okaasan prepares, she served maccha, Japanese green tea, with traditional Japanese sweets bought in Kyoto earlier that day.
I think Okaasan likes the opal necklace I gave her. One of my friends definitely said she would buy the necklace from me if Okaasan didn't like it, so judging from the all-around good reception to this necklace, I think I made a nice choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment