Saturday, October 3, 2009

I decided to relax today after a hectic day yesterday. I went to a Japanese-style bazaar with Okaasan this morning. Every year, there is a bazaar held at a middle school, high school, and college complex about a half hour train ride from Okaasan's home. The bazaar is usually held in May, but this year the bazaar was postponed because one high school student in Kobe came down with the swine flu, so the entire city went on lockdown. Okaasan told me that everyone wore face masks, and that the usually crowded city center in Sannomiya became empty. The scene was lively this morning, however, as many vendors brought handmade foods, crafts, and other items such as clothing and household accessories to sell at the bazaar. I didn't buy anything, but I enjoyed looking at the jewelry, stationery, household items, and sweets. I also helped Okaasan pick out a pearl necklace for herself.
In the afternoon I went to my host cousin Ayako's home. She lives right across the street from Okaasan and Otousan, and she is Okaasan's cousin. She plays piano very beautifully, and we had previously picked out four pieces to learn together. Two pieces are Japanese melodies, one traditional and one from an anime program, but the other two were Ave Maria and Csàrdàs by Monti. It was very difficult to play Ave Maria, I felt as though I was adding no emotional sensitivity or musicality to the piece.
I'll be at home for the rest of the weekend, relaxing, cleaning up my room, studying, catching up on journal entries, doing laundry, and practicing violin.

No comments:

Post a Comment