Sunday, August 30, 2009

Only a Few Hours Left in the U.S.

I was really panicking this morning. I had just opened up my suitcase, and after a few minutes of frantically stuffing rolled up clothing articles into my big roller suitcase, it was already full! I believe my heart rate actually increased just from stuffing my suitcase full of clothes, and I was unsure of how many more items I would need to fit into my navy blue frame pack, which is not all that big and cannot actually hold fifty pounds worth of luggage. But now I have compiled my toiletry articles and miscellaneous items, and it looks as though I will have no trouble stuffing everything into my frame pack to complete my packing.
Now that most of my packing woes are behind me, I can contemplate all the challenges that I will face in Japan. Japan's culture, I feel, is so nuanced, and it will be a real challenge to learn the correct behaviors for various social situations. I'll have to learn what types of gifts are appropriate, how to eat sushi and sashimi correctly, and what is appropriate to wear (my regular wardrobe - a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops - is too casual for everyday activity in Japan). Furthermore, I feel such pressure to become fluent in Japanese. I know graduate students who have studied the language longer than I have, and they are not fluent. How can I expect to achieve fluency in nine months? I think I will need to reevaluate my original goal of fluency. I also feel that because I frequently speak the little Japanese that I do know with fellow students, people who have heard me speak assume that I'm quite capable when in fact I have a long way to go before I'll even be at an advanced intermediate level.
But I guess I can worry about that all when I arrive in Japan. Right now, I'm going to spend my last few hours at home with my parents.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck, JuneBug!! I'm going to miss you so much! But I know you'll have a wonderful time. I look forward to reading about your adventurez

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really depends on your definition of "fluency." Is fluency the same level of comprehension as an average Japanese adult? Or perhaps it's being able to write and communicate with your own voice?

    More importantly, what's the rush with becoming fluent? Who cares about fluency anyway? Just go out, live your life, make friends, watch movies, read books, listen to music, do everything you would normally do for fun. Except do everything I just said in Japanese and the language-learning will take care of itself. So basically, what I'm saying is

    HAVE FUN GIRL! I'M SUPER JEALOUS OF YOU AND IF YOU COME BACK AND YOUR JAPANESE ISN'T BETTER THAN MINE THAT MEANS YOU HATE FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew,
    When I say fluency, I am thinking along the lines of a comprehension level similar to that of the average educated, Japanese adult. I know I can't rush fluency because I must study and experience a lot to obtain it, but I do care about it. I love studying languages, and in my mind it is frustrating to study a language for a long time and not obtain fluency. But after listening to a few professors during the orientation, I'm reevaluating my goals and thinking that fluency may just not be obtainable at this point, and proficiency may be a more reasonable goal.
    Of course I will have fun! ; ) And if you would actually speak Japanese with me for once, we will definitely compare skill levels when I return home, and I hope I can blow you out of the water, but we'll see...!

    ReplyDelete